SELL MORE COURSES WITH A FREE TRIAL
Although there are many effective ways to sell more courses, offering a free trial – or free trial lessons within your course – can drastically increase your course sales.
Consider the objections that may be holding potential students back from purchasing your course:
- “Am I going to get any value from this course?”
- “Is this course going to solve my problem(s)?”
- “Is the course material delivered in the way that I want to learn?”
- “Is the instructor going to teach in a way that I understand?”
- “Is the course price worth it?”
If you’re offering a course that provides value, solves their problem(s), and is delivered in different mediums, you’re going to be able to resolve many of these objections upfront by offering the option of participating in a few trial lessons.
Offering a few free trial lessons also enables you to continue to build a relationship with those who participate in the free trial but don’t purchase the course initially. This can be done in an email sequence, by inviting them to join you in your online community, or by getting on the phone with them – after they’ve completed the free trial lessons.
WHICH LESSONS TO INCLUDE AS FREE TRIAL LESSONS
If you’re going to offer free access to a few lessons within your course, you want to ensure that the potential student is going to get a result – a quick win.
Offering the Welcome video as the free trial lesson is going to be ineffective because that potential student is not likely to get any value from that video.
Your free trial lessons should be impactful, cause a “shift” in your potential student, and make them excited about enrolling in the full course. Look at the lessons you’re going to include in your free trial through this lense, then choose 2-4 lessons from your course that can be accessed free of charge.
BUT I DON’T WANT TO GIVE AWAY MY KNOWLEDGE FOR FREE!
Listen darlin’, you can’t win business by keeping your knowledge locked up.
In today’s digital landscape, where anyone can go to Youtube or Google and find a ton of free information – likely on what you’re teaching – you need to have a differentiator.
YOU are your differentiator.
By giving away some value upfront, you’re going to win the trust of potential customers who are more likely to then purchase your free trial – because you’ve proven your credibility and authority.
Your customers aren’t just buying your knowledge – they’re buying an experience.
Deliver a worthwhile experience, and they’ll continue to buy from you.
HOW TO SET UP A FREE TRIAL OF YOUR COURSE
Using Thinkific, the process of setting up your free trial is easy!
Once you’ve set up your free trial lessons, the Free Trial button will appear on your course sales page.
THE ESSENTIAL COMPONENT
So you’ve now got your free trial set up, but unless you filter free trial users into an automated email sequence to move them through to a purchase, you may not successfully move them into purchasing your course.
Thinkific natively integrates with Aweber, Mailchimp, Infusionsoft, and Convertkit. Of these email marketing service providers, I recommend Convertkit. CK is robust enough to easily handle email sequences and easy enough for non-techies to use.
These are the instructions for setting this up using Convertkit:
- Set up new tags: Free Trial: [Course Name] and Purchased: [Course Name] (if you don’t have a tag already set up for paid customers of the course)
- Set up a new email sequence for new free trial users (to move them from free trial enrollment to paid customer)
- Ensure you have a sequence set up for new paid course users (to guide them through the course)
- Set up a new Rule so that when a subscriber is tagged with Free Trial: [Course Name ] they’re subscribed to the new sequence
- Set up a new Rule so that when a subscriber is tagged with Purchased: [Course Name] they’re unsubscribed from the Free Trial: [Course Name] sequence and subscribed to the Purchased: [Course Name] sequence
- Click on Integrations on your dashboard
- Find Convertkit and click on Configure Settings
- Match up the tags in Thinkific with the tags you’ve set up in Convertkit
- Free Trial Enrollments = Free Trial: [Course Name]
- Full Enrollments and Orders = Purchased: [Course Name]
TEST THE PROCESS:
- Open an Incognito window
- Enter your Thinkific site URL
- Click on the course you’ve set up a free trial on
- Click on Free Trial
- Enter your name, email, password (use a different email from your Thinkific admin email)
- View the student dashboard to ensure free trial lessons are showing
- Check Convertkit to ensure that you’ve been added as a subscriber
- Click into you (as a subscriber) and ensure that you’ve been tagged properly and added to the free trial sequence
Now, when a new user signs up for your free trial, they’ll automatically get moved from Thinkific to Convertkit and put into the free trial email sequence. When/if they purchase the full course, they’ll be removed from that sequence based on the rules you set up.
You’re now on your way to converting more free trial participants into paid customers!
Need help getting your Thinkific / Convertkit integration set up to capture new free trial users?